Sunday, May 21, 2006

Book Deal

I'm excited to tell everyone that I recently signed a book deal with Carroll & Graf, an imprint of Avalon Publishing Group. The origins of the idea came from an article I wrote for the New York Observer more than two years ago entitled: Generation X: Born Under a Bad Economic Sign (I would link to it, but that requires a paid subscription, so email me if you're really interested and I'll send a PDF). Following the publication of the article, I was interviewed on the Brian Lehrer show, which you can listen to by clicking here and scrolling down to the third item, Forever Broke.

The premise of the book is that not since the Depression era has a generation been so whipsawed by the economy, from McJobs to outsourcing, and two unprecedented back-to-back bubbles (to name just a few issues here), and how all of the cultural trends, lifestyle choices and sociological circumstances of this generation have been dictated by economic insecurity and ultimately by diminshed expectations. The good news? Well, I'm no Ben Bernanke (click here for a hilarious video made by some Columbia Business School students featuring Dean Glenn Hubbard spoofing Mr. Bernanke), but I will argue that it will be up to Generation X (right now, approximately aged 29-41) to bring the economy back from the brink, and that diminished expectations could very well be exactly the right sensibility to pull that off!

So, having said that, I will do my best to keep up with Polis (and of course I'll still be covering real estate for the Times), but I probably won't be quite so active here as I have been in the past. Look for a couple posts a week, plus updated photography. Cheers.