Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Starfucks Part Deux

The blog world, particularly the NYC blogosphere, is dominated by tossed-off posts (a category I put Polis in), or worse, snarky items riddled with either obvious puns or obscure self-referencing. Not so with Miss Representation. Here you aren't bombarded with 25 posts a day. What you get is one thoughtful, well-written critique of New York life and all that it encompasses every few days or so. Today, Missy R. weighs in on the not-quite-played-out topic of Starbucks opening on the LES (as I did last week). And while I’m happy to say we are in agreement on several points, it is definitely a richer piece worthy of a scrupulous read:

Boy, I sure do miss the Pyramid. If it weren’t for Starbucks, what would be have to complain about? Well, I’d have plenty, but I don’t know about the rest of you. The end of hipster civilization (LES, oughts edition) as we know it occurred last week, when the dreaded green awning appeared over a storefront somewhere on the frontier (I believe it was Delancey). I wouldn’t notice because that stretch of the LES is populated with such stalwarts of alternative culture as Dunkin Donuts and Payless. …

Read the rest here.