Monday, August 08, 2005

Who Polices the Police? Guess.

Yesterday I took a little shot at the NYC blogosphere, and today I’m going to ratchet that up a notch. I know I'm really new to the this little world, but what is The Gutter, an “Ill-mannered commentary on the architectural arts” talking about? I swear I have to slog through all the uberhip language and obscure self-referencing at least twice before I can determine what in hell the subject matter is, and sometimes even then I don’t get it (like this choice item). As a longtime traditional ink-and-paper journalist as both a writer and editor (see, self-referencing is okay so long as it isn't in CODE) , I know I tend to err on the side of good old-fashioned, straight-forward, understandable, if boring, verbiage. And I do appreciate that the “site’s format deviates from the ‘flat’ style and ‘limited coverage’ of mainstream media,” but given that people read blogs because they have the attention span of an ADHD eight year-old with a Gameboy, shouldn’t readers at least get the topic at hand on the first read? That’s a rhetorical question. No need to respond.